Search This Blog

Monday, July 29, 2013

"As Easy As Pie"...Pie Crust!

As mentioned before, I am a baker at a little diner.  Aside from cakes, I really enjoy baking pies.  I have a very easy, yummy pie crust recipe.  I find this very funny.  I often get asked, "where did you go to school to learn this?"  More often than not, I answer 'MOM'S ACADEMY'!  Our mother taught us many necessary skills which are amazing to have in a time where anything homemade is almost unheard of!  I truly appreciate what I was taught and if I am blessed to have children of my own some day, I hope I can pass down recipes and skills as my mother taught me!! 

Now that I am done being sentimental, I can continue.  Just to let you know, the more I post, you will realize I am kind of an emotional nut.  It will probably spill on the page! :)  I love my family and anything that makes me think of them, well...you get the point! :)

So...Ingredients:

3 Cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/3 cup butter

1 egg
 1 T. apple cider vinegar
5 T. cold water



In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir until mixed evenly.


Cut butter in dry mix until you end with a rough texture. Set aside.


In a separate bowl, add egg, vinegar, and water.  Sorry for the confusion.  I have 2 eggs in this picture because I was doubling the batch. :)  With a fork, mix ingredients.


Bringing the bowl of dry ingredients over, pour the liquid mixture around the outside of the flour mixture.  


Using a fork, mix until all is moist.


Form little balls a little smaller than a baseball size.  You can play with the amount until you get used to what you need.  I like to add a little more flour to my dough ball at this time until I reach the consistency I like.  You will quickly learn when you don't have enough flour, because when you begin rolling it out, it will stick. Don't fret...if it's not right, gather it all up, add a little more flour and start again!


I start by rolling my dough out to about 5 inches.  At this point, I pick it up, throw some more flour underneath it and flip it over.  This step is probably just one of my little idiosyncrasies!  Hehe!!  Let me know if this is unnecessary!



Roll dough out!  Make sure to make it bigger than your pan.  I like to leave at least a good inch over the sides!


After carefully folding your dough into a quarter piece, gently place in your pan as shown above. Unfold to cover the whole bottom half.  Unfold again to cover the whole tin!  I understand this is pretty self explanatory but, you never know. :)


Using a pair of kitchen scissors, trim around pie tin, leaving about 1/4 to 1/2 inch (depending if you enjoy crust or not). 


 Neatly fold under.  This is another thing you don't have to do, I just like how much neater it looks.  If you don't want to take the time to fold under, ignore the directions above about leaving 1/4 inch...just trim with a knife along the pie tin.


Crimp your pie according to your preference!

Now you are ready to make a beautiful single crust pie!  Shall I post a pecan pie recipe soon! ;)







1 comment:

  1. Looks great! You make the best pie!! :) Yes, please post a pecan pie recipe!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Check these out!