Search This Blog

Saturday, July 27, 2013

How to Store Brown Sugar

In the process of organizing our kitchen cupboards, I came across some canisters and one was filled with brown sugar. I had heard awhile back that there was a trick to storing brown sugar that prevented it from getting hard.

Now, since it's just Tony and I living here, we don't go through a whole lot of brown sugar. So, when I store it like this.....


....more often than not, it's hard as a rock by the time I pull it out again.

Fortunately, when I put the brown sugar in this canister (which has probably been months because I forgot I had done it!), I remembered to try that trick out.


Want to know the trick?

Marshmallows!

Yep. If you store your brown sugar with marshmallows, it will keep your brown sugar soft!


Where I would normally find hard brown sugar and have to begin "chipping away" at it, I found it in a state that looked as though I had just put it in there. Look at those sweet, golden granules. Much better than finding a brick of brown sugar in your cupboard when you're in the middle of a recipe and need it! :)






3 comments:

  1. Great idea! A piece of bread works fabulous too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! :) ....question though....if I forget about it like I did the marshmallow, would the bread get moldy? How long does that last for?

      Delete
    2. The bread wont mold! I have had the same slice of bread in my brown sugar container for at least 6 months! :)

      Delete

Check these out!