Search This Blog

Monday, November 18, 2013

Slow Cooker Squash

Thanksgiving is a holiday to focus on being grateful for what God has given us. Family, friends, a home, jobs, health, faith, good days and even our bad days. Because even though some days don't go "our way", it reminds us that it's still another day that we were blessed with. Not everyone has that blessing. Though we should think about this throughout the year, Thanksgiving reminds us not to take even the little things for granted.

Speaking of Thanksgiving...most people have a different image pop into their mind. Like an abundance of delectable, flavor-filled foods spread across the table. Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes & gravy, green bean casserole, and, of course (one of my favorites), squash.

I'm going to be making my first Thanksgiving dinner this year, so I'm testing out a few dishes before the big day to make sure I don't break down crying because it's a total flop I have an idea of what I'm doing.

One of the dishes I wanted to test was the squash. I'm pretty sure my Mom usually whips the squash, then tops it off with some marshmallows. I know Thanksgiving morning is going to be crazy busy trying to get everything cooked, so I'm trying to make dishes that are quick to put together. What better way than to just throw it in the crock pot?? {The toasted marshmallow topping is optional, but I definitely recommend it!}



Ingredients

butternut squash, peeled and cubed
3 Tbsp. butter
salt & pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
miniature marshmallows (optional)

Directions

Place the cubed squash in the slow cooker. 
Season it with desired amount of salt and pepper.
Divide the butter into slabs and place over squash.
Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours, or until squash is soft.
Transfer squash to a mixing bowl.
Add brown sugar and whip 15-30 seconds.
Spread squash evenly in a baking dish.
Top with marshmallows.
Place in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until marshmallows are golden, just before serving.

****************

(Directions with Photos)

Place the cubed squash in the slow cooker. 


Season it with desired amount of salt and pepper.
Divide the butter into slabs and place over squash.


Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours.


Squash should be soft when pressed with a fork.
{I had a small squash and 4 hours was perfect.)


Transfer squash to a mixing bowl.


Add brown sugar and whip 15-30 seconds.
{Taste it and add more salt, pepper, or brown sugar as needed.}


*****At this point, you could just put it in a pretty dish and serve it. *****
However, if you want to have the toasted marshmallow topping, continue reading. :)

Spread squash evenly in a baking dish.


Top with marshmallows.
(I didn't have mini marshmallows on hand, so I just cut up the regular ones.)


Place in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until marshmallows are golden, just before serving.


Yum. :)








1 comment:

Check these out!