Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Spicy (or not) Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries

You know those yummy foods that a picture can never do justice?? Well, this is one of those. Or maybe I am not a very good photographer...very possible.
Either way, these are a must-try in my opinion! And I will warn you, these will not have the same "crunchiness" as a traditional deep fried french fry. But the flavor is so tasty you wont be missing it!

Ingredients needed:

2 large sweet potatoes (or yams)
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2-3 teaspoons cajun seasoning (or garlic  powder)


Nummy!!


1.  Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
2.  Scrub your potaotes (or yams).
Make sure they are well dried. I have even stuck them in my oven while it is preheating
for a couple minutes to ensure they are dry.


3.  Combine the oil, sugar, salt, and seasoning of your choice in a large bowl with a lid.  I have tried cajun seasoning and the next time I omitted the cajun and replaced it with garlic powder. Both were fantastic! I would love to try a chipotle seasoning...I think that would be great!  Any other ideas??


4.  Next you will need to slice your sweet potatoes.  I tried to chunk them into sizes similar to a steak fry.  Not too thick, not too thin.


5.  Toss them into the bowl with the oil and seasonings.


6.  Put the lid on and shake, shake, shake!!  When you take the lid off they should look well coated....something like this picture.  


7.  Now is the time you will need to spread them on a large baking sheet.  If needed, use two pans.  You will want to make sure they aren't too crowded or they will have a hard time crisping up.  


8.  Bake them for 25 minutes.  After baking I like to turn the broiler on high for 5 minutes or until they start getting dark and "crispified". Remove from oven.

Let them sit a few minutes and then serve 'em up! You might want to sneak a few for
 yourself because these wont last long!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check these out!