Search This Blog

Monday, April 21, 2014

"Pepper Popper" Tortilla Pizza

Last week, I needed to make dinner, but didn't have anything planned. I didn't have any meat defrosted, and I was feeling too lazy to do it. I know it's not that hard to take some chicken out of the freezer, but it was just one of those nights. I decided to throw together a veggie tortilla pizza. I started with cream cheese as a base, then started loading on other things we had on hand. We ended up with this "Pepper Popper" tortilla pizza. We liked so much, we've already made it a second time!

For any of you that like jalapeno poppers, you will LOVE this pizza. My sister, Sarah, posted a delicious bacon-wrapped jalapeno popper recipe, and they are to die for! You could switch up the ingredients in this pizza to better suit your tastes. Maybe add some meat (if you're not feeling lazy like I was!), mushrooms, spinach, or minced garlic. This pizza does bring some heat, so if you don't like spicy food, omit the jalapenos, and use your favorite cheese instead of pepper jack.


Since I made it on a whim, I didn't think to take pictures of all the steps. When I made it a second time, I meant to, but I completely forgot. Must be the early Alzheimer's kickin' in...


Ingredients

2 large flour tortillas
coconut oil (about 2 teaspoons)
5 oz. cream cheese
1 tsp. olive oil
1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium yellow pepper, thinly sliced
2 large jalapeno peppers, sliced (& seeds removed)
1 large red onion, sliced
6-8 oz. pepper jack cheese, shredded
fresh Parmesan cheese, grated

*This makes 2 tortilla pizzas. When I'm giving the directions, just divide everything between the two.

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Rub coconut oil on entire tortilla (both sides) until coated. (Be sure to get the edges, too!)
Heat olive oil in a large skillet pan on medium heat.
Add the peppers and onions and saute 'til slightly tender.
Remove from heat and set aside.
Spread cream cheese across the tops of the tortillas. (I used my fingers to squish it around. It seemed easier.)
Top the cream cheese with the peppers and onions.
Sprinkle on the pepper jack cheese.
Grate the Parmesan over the pepper jack until a decent layer is on top.
Bake on a sheet pan until cheese is melted.
Slide the pizzas off the pan, directly on the rack, and let bake until tortillas are crisp on the bottom and the edges.
Remove from oven and let cool slightly before cutting.

Devour. :)






2 comments:

Check these out!